Monday 10 February 2014

Pomegranates



The thought of going shopping on Monday morning is too ghastly to contemplate. I know I should be revelling in my freedom, but I am as yet uncertain as to the form that freedom will take. One thing I do know, is that the word Londis will not form a part of it...


 So off I go yesterday. At the Morrisons checkout, bloke at the till has four pomegranates that clearly the checkout girl does not recognise. Does he tell her what they are? No.

He just stands there, arms folded, with the beginning of a supercilious sneer on his fat face, just waiting to be asked what they are, so he can no doubt 'educate' her on the subject of exotic fruit, or even better, let her ring them through as something else, so he can presumably really have a good whine about the ignorant masses, and how tedious to have to correct her, waste of his time, busy schedule, must just take this important call zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Anyway, she finally rings them through and they come up as "loose persimmons £1.29", and he's off: "no no no, these are Pomegranates, you use them in exotic fruit salads, and are of course a key ingredient in Grenadine" he brays at the top of his voice, almost hopping from foot to foot with babyish oneupmanship delight, whilst looking down his hairy nose at the girl.

To her credit, she shows not a jot of embarrassment (or interest), looks on her fruit list, and rings them through. Up comes "Pomegranates: £5.49"

He looks at the price and rapidly shuts up. His little outburst cost him over four quid.

Couple of sniggers from the queue, but not from me. I was too busy counting my change and sheepishly packing up my pomegranates.



1 comment: