Saturday 19 April 2014

Hersensaus


Weekend away in Antwerp with the missus (she paid!!) and another couple

So we're sitting in Ciro's, a traditional Flemish restaurant. Very nice




Now, my Flemish is a tad rusty. That is to say, nonexistent. No matter I thought, everything will be in french, and my french is “ou est la toilette” standard, so I can figure out any menu. Not so. Turns out the Antwerpians seem to HATE the frogs and especially their language.

So here’s the starters. 


Toast Schelvislever
€ 9,50
Toast Gerookte Paling
€ 16,00
Tomatensoep met Ballekens
€ 6,00
Bisque van Grijze Noordzeegarnalen
€ 10,00
Escargots met Lookboter
€ 9,50
Cocktail van Grijze Noordzeegarnalen
€ 14,75
Toast Champignons
€ 12,00
Lamstongetjes met Hersensaus
€ 9,50

Gebakken Kalfshersenen met Kappers

Toast. OK, got that, but I didn’t come to Antwerp for toast. Or tomatoensoap, even if you do get a heap of Ballekens on the side. Grey North Sea bisque sounds a bit iffy. I know what escargots are, and that is definitely french, so on the basis that the Flemish chef has therefore probably spat on them, I think I’ll pass . 

More Grey North Sea stuff. More bastard toast. That leaves lamstongetjes (I think I know what that is) and something unpronouncable with Kappers. Capers? Kippers? Or worse still, Kappers?

So on the basis that Lambs Tongues, even with a good dollop of Hersensaus, sounded like a good bet, I went for that. And it was indeed excellent. The Hersensaus was particularly fine. Superb steak for main course.

Having my coffee and I find a waiter who speaks english. “Could you tell me, what is Hersensaus?
 “Ah yes, very good. It is Calves Brains sauce. You like?”

Bloody savages

WARNING...WARNING...WARNING
Watch out for the beers.

DO NOT attempt to drink this:

 




Do not inhale. Do not go near the empty bottles. If you see someone with an open glass of this, cross the street.

Whether the combination of three of these, along with the calves brains sauce had anything to do with the 3.00am mercy dash to the toilet, I don't know, but it might explain why Trappist Monks are incapabe of speech


Stuck to Moules & Frites for lunch the next day. Excellent




Back home now, and went to see The Book of Mormon last night.

Bloody Brilliant

The line "I have maggots in my scrotum" brought the house down

Why?

I guess you had to be there

Retirement going well

1 comment:

  1. Calves brains! I've just snorted my Starbucks latte across the table!! PMSL �� x

    ReplyDelete