Saturday 7 March 2015

Yak & Yeti

Had often looked through the window of this Stroud Green Road restaurant in passing, and although I didn’t like the look of the rather over the top palatial chairs in the front
Image result for Yak & Yeti Stroud Green Road

thought we’d one day give it a go. So last night me and the missus went in.

About 85% full, nice buzz about the place, and most of the dĂ©cor was modern with very comfy leather chairs, apart from a few tables at the front. 
Image result for Yak & Yeti Stroud Green Road
That's better

We were seated at one of the last remaining tables in the back, by a friendly and efficient waiter.
We ordered drinks and papadums: two plain two masala. Drinks and two plain papadums duly arrived, and after a few minutes the Maitre D’ came over to check on us. We’re ready to order, I say, but we are missing two masala pappadums. “Let me go and remedy that sir”, and off he goes.

As we are sitting near the back of the restaurant, I could hear sounds from the kitchen, and suddenly I hear raised voices, and the words MASALA PAPADUMS!! being angrily hurled out.

30 seconds later out glides the Maitre D’ with two masala papadums. Job done. He takes our order. We have ordered two starters: spiced crabcakes, and Peri Peri Prawns.

In due course the crabcakes arrive, but no sign of the prawns. My wife and I share the very good crabcakes which come with a great tangy sauce and a delicious side salad with a dressing that would not be out of place in a fancy french restaurant. We finish our crabcakes. Still no prawns. Again the Maitre D’ sidles over. “Is everything to your satisfaction?”

“Lovely, but we do not seem to have our peri peri prawns.” He takes a deep breath and plunges back into the kitchen, whereupon we hear angry shouting, and  a couple of whimpers. Out he glides again and says, “I am so sorry Sir, it will be just a few minutes.” As we seem to have ordered quite a lot we say don’t worry, we’ll go straight to the mains.

We then spend an entertaining 15 minutes watching the Maitre D’ as he firefights his way across the restaurant, barking at waiters and disappearing into the kitchen. I think they are just a little busier than they can cope with, but I have a beer, we’re sitting on a warm, comfy seat in very pleasant surroundings on a Friday evening, so we’re perfectly happy.

Our mains arrive after a little wait, with apologies from the waiter for the delay.  All the food arrives except the rice, so we are waiting for that to arrive before we tuck in. The Maitre D’, sniffing a possible problem, shimmies over. “Do you have everything Sir?”

“Umm yes thank you. Just waiting for the rice?”

A shadow passed across his face, and he takes a large Basil Fawlty-type breath before plunging into the kitchen. I look at my wife and we both cringe. Sure enough, we hear a hurricane of screams, swearing, and general mayhem. I can make out the words RICE and possibly BASTARDS.

30 seconds later out glides the Maitre D’ with our rice.

I had the Lamb Xacuti, which was superb, with flavours of coconut and curry leaves. The lamb was meltingly tender, and the sauce rich and full of delicious flavours. My wife had Lamb Achari, which had zingy, astringent flavours – also superb. We had two vegetable accompaniments. One was a finely minced aubergine dish redolent of a spicy babaganoush – very good. But I thought the best dish was the spinach bhagi. Made with baby spinach leaves that had just been wilted, the little stalks were still slightly crunchy – without doubt the very best spinach bhagi I have ever tasted, and I’ve had a few in my time I can tell you.

Then hot towels, little choccies and coffee. What a great meal and a great place. £30 per head, but well worth it for the food, the service and the entertainment.


Top place. Will definitely return with friends, and will insist on a table by the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment