Sunday 9 November 2014

Sucker

To the Ally Pally Farmers Market this morning. Usual mix of overpriced cheese, sausages, scented candles, organic veg (that's the same as ordinary veg except it's covered in shit).

As I was eyeing up the authentic local Sri Lankan Hummus stall, a very attractive lady at the stall next door said, "hello, do you read at all?"

I noticed she had a bookstall selling very nicely printed novels: European books translated for the first time into English.



She engages me in conversation by saying, "do you do much reading?"

"Er..."



She persists. "what sort of books do you read?"

I have to think quickly. The type of thing I read is



But I thought I'd better say,



"...oh WELL", she gushes. "I think you would be very interested in these titles.."

I flick through the books on display and read some of the synposes. They all seem to involve subjects such as the relationship between mother & daughter, a young boy growing up in Kazakhstan. A famine in nineteenth century Finland. There's another one about a family sitting round a dinner table. The evening wears on...

"Umm..."  I try to rekindle my interest in the Sri Lankan Hummus

"£10 each. That's a saving of £2.00"   She does have lovely blue eyes.

When I get home, the conversation goes like this.

Missus. "did you buy anything?"

Me (casually) "oh not much. Thought I'd pick up something to read. My casualness is overpowering



"Oh?: What did you get?"

I actually have no idea what I got. I was looking into her eyes as I picked out a book.


"That'll be £10 please"

I pulled out the book and showed my missus.


A gripping Norwegian drama about the power struggle between two sisters.
Far out on the plains of northern Norway stands a house. It belongs to two middle-aged sisters. They seldom venture out and nobody visits. The younger needs nursing and the older never dared to leave

The missus stands there with her hands on her hips giving me The Look. "Really? Who the hell conned you into buying this?"



"That'll be £10 please"

No comments:

Post a Comment