Monday 10 November 2014

Things are not always what they seem

To Islington this morning to help out with the books at my old firm for a few hours.


Picture of me giving the new boss some sage advice about the Bought Ledger 

Having worked is Islington since 1347, I have seen the roads transformed by the People's Republic of Islington, from smooth(ish) hazard-free highways


Picture of me as a lad on top of the number 91 omnibus travelling down Upper Street to Ye Olde Nandos

to speedbump-strewn assault courses designed to do everything in their power to out-manoeuvre and outwit any hapless motorist foolish enough to besmirch the Junta's personal property, ie the public highways with their presence.

And so you can forgive my bemusement as I was walking along the pavement of an especially bump-infested street, even for Islington, when I heard and then saw a cyclist coming towards me in a state of high excitement that seemed to be directly associated with the bumps.

"WEEEEEE!!!" he went as he sailed over the first bump. "OOooohhh!! Here we go agian!!" as he sailed over the next. "EEEEK!! Look out!! Here comes another one!! WEEEE!!!". "Here we go, here we go. HERE WE GO. WEEEEEEE!! Ha ha ha ha ha!!!"


One of the relatively bump-free roads in Islington

And as he came closer and closer to me, I could only think that either he had never been on a bike before, and certainly never in Islington, or he'd drunk three quarts of Southern Comfort, or he was just stark staring bonkers.

And it was only as he passed me that I realised he had, strapped into a little seat behind him, a small child.

No comments:

Post a Comment