Sunday 14 December 2014

A nice bit of Salt Beef

Last year for Christmas I did a nice baked ham. This year I thought I’d go all Jewish and do a cured brisket, ie salt beef. Next year, if it works, I am determined to try Mrs Wolowitz’ infamous Turbriskefil.



Anyway, back to reality. Rang the butcher and ordered a brisket. Conversation went:

“'Ow big?”

“About 2 Kilos max”

“Faaakin' ell, Who do you fink I am, a faaarkin' surgeon? Smallest will be abaat 3 kilos. Thirty quid.”

Now just close your eyes, this won't hurt a bit

“Sold.”

Now to the marinade/cure. Looked up a few different recipes and this is what I am going to do.

Make a cure by mixing/dissolving in about 6 pints of water the following:
400g salt
150g sugar
30g Saltpetre
bay leaves, garlic cloves, coriander seeds, mace, dried chillis, cloves, allspice, maybe cinnamon sticks, peppercorns.

Bring to the boil, cool, and pack brisket and cure into heavy duty freezer bags. Depending on the size of the beast, I’ll be cutting it into 2 – 4 pieces., so 2 – 4 bags.

Put in the fridge for approx 10 days, turning each day.

Picture of me turning the briskets. I think I've come across a foreign body

Then put in a heavy duty pan, cover with water, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves etc and simmer for about 4 hours until meltingly tender.

Mmmmmeltingly tender brisket

I’ll get some sauerkraut, Dijon mustard and rye bread in for hot salt beef sandwiches


but mainly have it for cold.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

Spent the weekend trying to get the saltpetre. I tried poncey cooking shops, poncey butchers. I then tried the butcher I’m getting the brisket from. Conversation went like this.

“Faaaarkin’ ‘ell, not any more. Used to get it in 3 kilo tubs no problem, but nah, they fink your a faarkin’ terrorist, wiv a faaarkin’ bomb factory in the basement. No chance”


OK that's the saltpetre. Now the tricky bit: peppercorns...

As I was sitting disconsolately at my computer this morning, I did what everyone does in the end. I tried Amazon, really just as a joke, but there it was! Saltpetre!  100g, 300g, 1 kilo, you name it. No problem.

Now ordered.
Looking forward to the delivery

OH, yes, good morning sir. We have your order here

No comments:

Post a Comment